January 7, 2020
If you’ve recently gotten porcelain veneers in Conyers, you’ve made a great investment in your smile! These thin, durable shells are perfect for transforming any unsightly teeth into the perfect smile. They’re even stain resistant, so you can flash those pearly whites confidently after enjoying your coffee or other dark-colored drink! However, you may notice after a few years that they’re not as bright as they used to be. But think twice before grabbing those teeth whitening strips of the shelf! Find out what causes discoloration in porcelain veneers and what to do about it!
What Causes Discoloration in Porcelain Veneers?
Even though porcelain veneers are resistant to stains, there are a few things that can change their color:
- Gum recession. Over time, your gums will naturally pull away from your teeth. Unfortunately, this can reveal the composite that holds your veneers in place, which are easily stained.
- Internal damage. When damaged, the layer of dentin underneath your enamel changes hues rapidly. This can shine through your porcelain veneers, darkening them.
- The wrong material. Older dental veneers that aren’t made of porcelain can stain. Instead, the materials are porous, which can trap bacteria and make them appear dirty looking.
Can I Whiten My Porcelain Veneers?
Although your porcelain veneers look and feel like natural teeth, they cannot be whitened in the same way. Whitening gels and strips won’t have noticeable effects on discolored veneers, and whitening toothpastes often contain abrasive materials that can scratch or damage them. The only way to restore your brilliant smile is to replace your veneers, which will need to be done every 20 years or so.
How Can I Keep My Porcelain Veneers Shining Bright?
Thankfully, keeping your enhanced smile beautiful and bright is as easy as following a few simple steps:
- Only use a soft-bristled toothbrush and stay away from abrasive toothpastes.
- Take a moment to brush your teeth after consuming dark-colored drinks, foods, and sauces.
- See your dentist in Conyers regularly for checkups and cleanings for your veneers.
While you can’t whiten your veneers, you can keep them from becoming stained in the first place. By taking care of your veneers and regularly seeing your dentist, you can ensure your improved smile looks like new for decades to come.
About the Practice
Dr. Anushka Amin & Associates Family and Cosmetic Dentistry is the place to go if you want a beautiful smile in Conyers, GA. Dr. Anushka Amin and Dr. Daniel Hodges are both graduates of the Medical College of Georgia and members of the American Dental Association, Georgia Dental Association, and the Hinman Dental Society. They share a passion for helping each of their patients obtain their perfect smile, which is why they offer a wide range of cosmetic treatments, including porcelain veneers. If you’d like to know more about keeping your porcelain veneers bright, they can be contacted at their website or (770) 922-0511.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.